Are the bananas just sitting there in the fruit basket, ripening as each day passes by?
If you don’t want to eat bananas now, there is so much more you can do with them later.
I often freeze bananas when they overripe – especially if there are too many bananas lying around. A lot of the time I use frozen bananas for a smoothie. However, that is not always the case and sometimes I forget about the frozen bananas resting up in the freezer.
Besides freezing bananas, I actually use them in a baking recipe.
If you devour bananas like I do, then you will most certainly enjoy this healthy version of banana bread.
The recipe is simple yet delicious:
½ cup old fashioned rolled oats
½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
¼ cup chopped walnuts
1 tsp baking powder
2 overripe bananas
½ tsp baking soda
1 tbs raw honey
1 cup oat flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 large egg
- In a bowl, mash the bananas well until they are a creamy texture.
- Whisk one egg in a small bowl.
- Add the egg into the banana bowl and mix well.
- Now add the oat old fashioned rolled oats, unsweetened apple sauce, chopped walnuts, baking powder, baking soda, honey, oat flour and cinnamon.
- Combine all of these ingredients together.
- Take 1 tbsp of coconut oil and grease all the sides of a loaf tin, then pour the bread batter into the loaf tin.
- Sprinkle the top of the mixture with additional oats and chopped walnuts if you would like to.
- Bake at 180 C for approximately 45 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
You can enjoy this delicious recipe for breakfast or even as a snack.
©| Header image: Banana Bread recipe by Scrambled Chefs