Sometimes you just don’t have enough time to cook a massive meal. For those days where you just want to make something that will last a few days, there is always an option of a filling salad. You can refrigerate a salad; take it to work for lunch the next day or have it for dinner when you get home in the evening.
Who said salads have to be boring? You can make any salad you like to stop that rumbling tummy. You don’t always have to eat boring foods.
In this post, I will share a simple yet delicious bean salad recipe that is filling and healthy…
Marinated Bean Salad
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: About 1 hour
250g dried baricot beans, soaked overnight
1 small red pepper, cored, seeded and diced
250g cherry tomatoes halved
4 tbsp chopped mixed herbs
125g leeks, thinly sliced
For the dressing:
1 tbsp coarse-grain mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
1 clove garlic, crushed
Grated rind of 1 lemon
3 tbsp lemon juice
6 tbsp olive oil
- Soak the beans overnight
- Drain the beans, and then put them in a pan
- Add cold water and bring to the boil. Boil for around 10 minutes, then cover and simmer them for approximately 40 minutes until they are tender
- Drain them well
- In a bowl, mix the dressing ingredients together
- Add the drained beans to the dressing mixture and leave until it gets cold
- Then add the sliced leeks, celery sticks, cherry tomatoes, red pepper and mixed herbs to the beans and combine well until the ingredients are all mixed
You can serve this salad on its own as part of a salad selection. You can also add diced cheese or hard boiled eggs to the salad to turn it into a main course meal.
Don’t just settle for the usual green and red salad. You don’t always have to eat cucumbers and tomatoes. There is a variety of other ingredients out there that you can turn into a mouth watering salad.